Pork and Cabbage Dumplings
(Video Coming Soon)
Pork and Cabbage Dumplings
The best meals are ones made with friends and family. Grab a group of people and start making some dumplings!
- Chef’s knife
- 2 cutting boards
- Mixing bowl
- 2 small bowls
- 3 plates
- Large nonstick sauté pan with cover for pan frying dumplings.
- Heat resistant spatula
- Rubber spatula or chopsticks to mix the filling
- Fork or spoon for filling
- Bowls for serving
- Round circular dumpling wrappers
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1/2 napa cabbage more or less depending on the size!
- 2 garlic cloves save a little for the dipping sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp shaoxing Wine or Rice Cooking Wine
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp Diamond Kosher salt
- 1 chopped scallion for garnish save a little for the dipping sauce - (optional)
- 1/4 tsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- A pinch of chopped scallions and/or chopped garlic
- 1-2 drops sesame oil (optional)
- Sichuan chili oil or red pepper flakes (optional for the hot and spicy lovers)
- Wash and chop garlic and napa cabbage into small pieces.
- In a bowl, combine the ground pork, garlic, and napa cabbage. Grate fresh ginger over the filling. Mix in soy sauce, sugar and shaoxing wine. Set aside.
Wrap the dumplings
- Take one dumpling wrapper. Put one teaspoon of the filling in the middle of the wrapper. Dip your fingers in the bowl of water and wet half of the sides. Fold the dumpling in half and only pinch the top middle part closed. You should now have two loops on either side. Take half and push up to your pinched middle and fold one side towards the middle pinched area. Repeat on that side once more. Repeat the last two steps on the other side and put on a plate. Repeat until you have the amount of dumplings you would like to eat or freeze.
Cook the dumplings while you have your friends or family wrapping dumplings
- Heat up a large sauté pan and add 1-2 tbsp of oil. Place dumplings about ½ inch apart in the pan. I like to put them in a circle. After 2 minutes, add 1/2 cup of water and cover. Simmer for 5 minutes and add 3 tbsp of water again. Simmer for 5 more minutes or until water is evaporated. Uncover and continue to cook until the bottom is crispy. With your spatula, scoop up the dumplings and place on a plate. Garnish with scallions and serve with bowls and dipping sauce.
- In a small bowl, combine the dipping sauce ingredients and stir. The longer the garlic and scallions sit, the stronger the flavor.
Add to your favorite instant ramen or soup! You can freeze these on a plate for 15-20 minutes. Then add them into an air tight container and keep in the freezer to eat later in the week. Freezing them on the plate first helps them not stick together in the container.